On November, 18th 1723 the iron factory was opened on the river Iset – that was the start and the birthday of the new city-factory Yekaterinburg. The birthday of the city is celebrated now in August, simply because it is warmer to hold an open-air party in summer.
We don’t know what Yekaterinburg looked like 287 years ago but you have a chance to see Yekaterinburg of 1909 in colors made by an active photographer and scientist Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii. He is known for his pioneering work in color photography of early 20th-century Russia. His collection features color photographic surveys of the vast Russian Empire made between 1905 and 1915. The collection is now in the USA as the Library of Congress purchased it from the photographer's sons in 1948. It includes about 450 photos of the Urals and 100 of Western Siberia.
Prokudin-Gorskii took about 40 photographs in Yekaterinburg in 1909. The same year the photographer was invited to show his work to the Tsar Nicolas II and his family. The Romanovs enjoyed the demonstration. They were keen amateur photographers too. Of course, they couldn’t imagine that nine years later peaceful Yekaterinburg would be their last prison and their burial ground …
Special thanks to Mr. Prokhorov for sharing the photos from his web-site dedicated to Prokudin-Gorskii color photography. For more information in Russian visit: http://ps-spb2008.narod.ru/index.htm
- What museums to visit in Yekaterinburg?
- Urals through the eyes of an Englishman
- Yekaterinburg Opera and Ballet Theatre. Live performces at the museum
- The Romanovs’ gruesome end
- Christmas 2012. Ice Sculptures at Church on Blood